1.31.2010

Baby Faith

I know I normally try to just post pictures on the blog but I thought I might take a minute to explain our family situation. As many of you know, our fourth child, Faith Caroline is 30 weeks (gestation age - in the womb) tomorrow.

I, Emily, am in Singapore being cared for by an OBGYN. This has been an ordeal. Here is the history, in December we heard from two doctors that Faith's head and belly appeared small on the sonogram. But it did not seem to much cause for concern as both doctors just mentioned it in passing. Early January brought still another report, Faith's head and belly are small. I returned for another appointment (two weeks later) to a dr in our capitol city to hear that Faith's body was doing well but her head was too small and did not seem to be growing like the rest of her body. That doctor suspected head and brain abnormalities. The downhill spiral of emotions and questions began. Three days after hearing that news, our org sent me here to Singapore to see another OBGYN and specialist. Four days after hearing that Faith may have head/brain abnormalities, I saw Dr Chia, my current doctor. In her opinion Faith's whole body is small - except the girl has some long legs! Not only this but my amniotic fluid is VERY low. Dr Chia quickly stated I need "house" rest. She encouraged me to leave Andy and the kids behind at home, do not return home, no cooking, no cleaning, no grocery shopping, no caring for kids, etc. Just resting. That is what I am trying to do. And I am visiting Dr. Chia every five days.

So yep you guessed it... Andy is caring for Anna, Miriam, & Lazarus by himself. He is homeschooling Anna (1st grade) and Miriam (preschool). And trying to maintain his work on the farm a bit too.

Dr Chia's plan is for Faith to hang in there (in the womb) till hopefully 34 weeks. Yes it sounds like very high possibility Faith is going to be a preemie! I personally am praying that God keeps her safe, growing, and in the womb till 37 weeks but it is really ALL up to HIM anyway!

We are so thankful for each of you who have written emails or on facebook. It has meant so much to know so many people are praying for Faith & me, Andy and the kids.

Prayer requests:
- ultimately that God would receive ALL the glory through these weak lives of ours.
- for my amniotic fluid to not decrease ANY!
- for Faith to grow as I am trying to rest, eat, sleep, and rest
- for Andy as he balances homeschooling, caring for the kids, work, etc
- for strength and patience for Andy
- for stability and love for the kids
- for me to fight loneliness, fear, stress, doubts, the whole nine yards emotionally

Thank you friends for your thoughts and prayers. May God get receive all the glory through our Faith.

5 comments:

Christy Myers said...

Emily,

We are praying for you and have put you and Baby Faith on the prayer list at Broadway Baptist Church. We are also praying for Andy, Anna, Miriam & Laz. We went through some very difficult times just after Andrew (our youngest) was born. We had to leave him in the NICU and had some scary things take place, so I can relate to some of the emotional roller coaster you are on. I look forward to hearing about the miracle that God is going to work in Baby Faith's life!

jaseandjenn said...

em, thanks for the detailed post. i can only imagine the battle in your heart between caring for baby faith and not being with andy and the other kiddos. you are SUCH a wonderful mom! loving baby faith with every bite of good food and every nap you take! love ya'll and praying right this very minute for your heart, baby faith's growth, amniotic fluid to stablize, strength for andy, and joyful hearts for anna, miriam, and lazarus.
jenn

Julie said...

Thanks for the update, we'll be praying for you guys. So, are you in Singapore alone now? Keep us posted.

Keith, Julie, Race and Van

Heather said...

Oh, Em! Thanks for explaining your situation in so much detail. We have been really perplexed about what is going on but have just been praying that God would continue to strengthen, sustain, comfort, and encourage all of you! We love you so very much and are so happy to hear this good report. Praise God!

Stacey Dunavant said...

emily..wow, i am glad you posted this..i don't receive your emails..i do keep up with your blog...I will be praying for you during this time and little baby Faith! When are you guys scheduled for a visit back on the other side? praying for you!