12.21.2011

Christmas

What does your Christmas look like? We commonly get that question from those in the States. So I thought for a minute I give you a few details.

1. the thermometer would read between 90 to 100 F with high humidity :)  

2. you would see a tree in our house that looks like this:



















we have ornaments on our tree that look like this:







Isa Almasih translated is Jesus Christ

We decorate our tree with names of Jesus so that when those that don't yet know Jesus so our tree it makes them question who is the Christ? Who is this Wonderful Counselor? this King of Kings?  What does John 3:16 mean for me? 

In all honesty, it used to bother me that we didn't have the perfect tree.  I said I was being honest. But over the years, the Lord has worked on my heart (praise be to Him). This year I let the kids completely decorate the tree, but I will admit that I waited a few hours and went back and redecorated a bit when things needed to be spread out (you know we just do not need 10 balls on one limb). 

And then when I look at our construction paper names of Jesus around our tree... it becomes beautiful! 

3. you would also see this, our Jesse tree

there are many varieties of the Jesse tree but this is one that the kids and I came up with 2 years ago, and its still holding together so we are still going with that. This is one of my FAVORITE parts about our Christmas traditions.  This year I have enjoyed it more than even in years past. 


4. this year we added something called Truth in the Tinsel that is a simple advent tradition for preschoolers and early elementary children and it has been great. Simple truths and Bible stories that help us stay focused on the coming birth of our Savior,  Jesus Christ.  Here is an ornament that they made. 













































5. we have several Christmas gatherings at churches.

6. we gather with other like minded international workers on the  24th for a Christmas party.

7. Our Christmas day is filled with going to church, going to Christians homes and wishing them a Merry Christmas, and then going home where we will have anywhere from 30 or more visitors in our home for Christmas day.   

Maybe for numbers 5, 6, and 7, I can take pictures for you guys so that you can see the way local Christians here celebrate Christmas. 



One thing is for sure. If you went into a local's home that is a follower of Jesus, you will not see Santa Claus. No presents. No fancy decorations. But simply followers of Jesus gathering together to wish each other Merry Christmas, joy to the world truly the Savior has come! 

No comments: